1. (TCO 1) Which of the following is a predicted outcome of continued global warming?
2. (TCO 2) The Conservation Reserve Program was funded in the United States to conserve which of the following precious resources?
3. (TCO 3) Environmental goods and environmental bads are:
4. (TCO 4) According to the economist Fred Hirsch, a "positional good" is a good or commodity:
5. (TCO 5) Of the many techniques advertisers use to persuade customers to purchase goods, which is the most effective?
6. (TCO 6) According to your text, what percent of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions come from automobiles?
7. (TCO 7) What is the best contraceptive, according to the slogan of the 1974 World Population Conference in Bucharest?
8. (TCO 7) Which of the following does Sen claim will NOT insure food availability?
9. (TCO 3) What percentage of the world's original forests remain?
10. (TCO 5) The story of the National City Line (NCL) demonstrates
1. (TCO 1) The author of our course textbook states that "the principle scholarly contribution of the book is the concept of ecological dialogue." Briefly explain what is meant by ecological dialogue, and give an example or illustration. Pick a major environmental problem and describe how you would solve it using ecological dialogue.
2. (TCO 2) Explain the impact of consumerism on the environment. Compare and contrast the relationship between consumerism and industry; more specifically how our society can more away from petroleum and more toward cleaner forms of energy and resources to become more sustainable.
3. (TCO 4) Describe in detail what consumption is and how it relates to marketing and capitalism. Provide a few examples. Compare and contrast some of the positive and negative aspects of capitalism. How does this relate to free markets?
4. (TCO 6) Describe green technology, and give a few examples of green technology currently being used in our society. Also, describe how green technology can be used to make our society more sustainable. Pick one form of green technology and describe in detail how it produces energy more cleanly compared to petroleum sources.
5. (TCO 7) Describe in detail our population's impact on poverty. Provide a few detailed examples. Explain how environmental sociologists think we can solve issues of poverty. How do you think we can solve worldwide poverty?