1. (TCO 1) The body of knowledge obtained by methods based on systemic observation is known as _____.
2. (TCO 1) The study of the social features of humans and the ways in which they interact and change is known as _____.
3. (TCO 1) A key element in the sociological imagination is the ability to view one's own society _____.
4. (TCO 3) Of the major theoretical theories in sociology, which one views society as a living organism, in which each part of the organism contributes to its survival?
5. (TCO 3) _____ refers to an element or process of a society that may actually disrupt the social system, or reduce its stability.
6. (TCO 2) Gambling researcher Althea Andrasia runs repeated tests on her measure of addiction to check for consistency in measurement. Her goal is to ensure that the measure is _____.
7. (TCO 2) Cause is to effect, as _____.
8. (TCO 2) A speculative statement about the relationship between two or more factors known as variables is called _____.
9. (TCO 2) All of the following are steps in the scientific method EXCEPT _____.
10. (TCO 2) A factor that is held constant to test the relative impact of an independent variable is called a _____.
1. (TCO 4) On the first day of basic training in the army, a recruit has his civilian clothes replaced with army “greens,” has his hair shaved off, loses his privacy, and finds that he must use a communal bathroom. Erving Goffman would say that all these humiliating activities are part of _____.
2. (TCO 4) Which is the process of discarding former behavior patterns and accepting new ones as part of a transition in one’s life?
3. (TCO 4) Charles Horton Cooley used the following phrase to mean a self-image based on how we think others see us:
Chapter 3 page 69
4. (TCO 4) Erving Goffman makes so many explicit parallels to the theater that his view has been termed
5. (TCO 4) According to George Herbert Mead, what is the correct order of stages in the development of the self?
6. (TCO 3) The norms for the ethics of using the Internet, particularly issues concerning privacy and censorship, have not yet caught up with the explosion in Internet usage and technology. William F. Ogburn called this
7. (TCO 3) What term do sociologists use to refer to the process by which a cultural item spreads from group to group, or society to society?
8. (TCO 3) Penalties and rewards for conduct concerning a social norm are ____
9. TCO 3) Which of the following is a statement based on the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis?
10. (TCO 3) _____ is the totality of learned, socially transmitted customs, knowledge, material objects, and behavior.