Camarota (2012) stated that there are twelve million illegal immigrants living in the United States. The CIS also reports that the majority of the illegal immigrants enter the United States through the Mexican border. According to a recent interagency intelligence assessment of Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), approximately 65 percent of the cocaine smuggled into the United States crosses the southwest border. In this assignment, you will demonstrate an understanding and conduct an assessment of the global threat implications of population growth and migration. In addition, you will support your hypothesis for combating illegal immigration in the United States.
Criminal groups operating from South America smuggle cocaine and heroin into the United States via a variety of routes, including land routes through Mexico, maritime routes along Mexico's east and west coasts, sea routes through the Caribbean, and international air corridors. Furthermore, criminal groups operating from neighboring Mexico smuggle cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, amphetamine, and marijuana into the United States. These criminal groups have smuggled heroin and marijuana across the southwest border and distributed them throughout the United States since the 1970s. In addition to distributing cocaine and methamphetamine in the western US markets and the Midwest, these Mexico-based groups now are attempting to expand the distribution of those drugs into eastern US markets.
Camarota, S. A. (2012). Immigrants in the United States: A profile of America's foreign-born population. Retrieved from http://www.cis.org/articles/2012/immigrants-in-the-united-states-2012.pdf
Drug Enforcement Administration. (2011). Drug trafficking in the United States. Retrieved from http://www.justice.gov/dea/concern/drug_trafficking.html
For this assignment, you will explain your hypothesis for addressing the illegal immigration threat in the United States and prepare a 3- to 5-page APA research paper to support your projections.
- Research the Argosy University online library resources to examine the issues of illegal immigration in the United States and cite and document the sources you find to establish your researched facts. Ensure you provide enough content to thoroughly explain your hypothesis for combating illegal immigration to the United States.
- Use a minimum of three academic sources in your report, all from the Argosy University online library resources.
- Compile your report, including all information researched, and prepare a research paper in accordance with the following guidelines:
- This paper is to be in APA format, with a cover sheet and a reference page at the end.
- The paper is to be 3 to 5 pages in length. This length does not include your cover sheet or reference page.
- The font is to be Times New Roman and the size is to be 12 point.