1. Twelve-month-old Callum is barely able to walk a few steps before losing his balance and falling down. What is the term that best describes Callum's current ability to move around?
2. In an effort to lower the age at which his infant son will begin to walk, Mr. Simmons puts 8-month-old Richard on a program that emphasizes leg strength. What is the most likely outcome of this intervention?
3. Caleb is 4 months old. If he is like others his age, when he grasps a rattle, he will grasp it with ____________________________________.
4. In order to be able to walk, Loretta must first master certain individual skills, like being able to balance herself. What term best describes this process?
5. Marcie sings the same lullaby to her infant son every night because she believes he has learned to recognize it. Does recent research support her claim?
6. By the age of ____, young humans are able to perceive different-pitched noises about as well as adults.
7. Who is most likely to be afraid of heights?
8. Molly is buying little stuffed bears for her soon-to-be-born child's nursery. She is very concerned about having different colors that the baby will be able to differentiate the first day the baby arrives. Thus, Molly is attempting to stimulate her child's _______________.
9. Dr. Eco has a strong belief that global warming is a theoretical myth. In recent years, however, the increased rate of polar ice cap melt has forced him to alter his theory, and he now is a strong advocate against greenhouse pollutants. A Piagetian would most likely describe Dr. Eco's theoretical conversion in terms of _______________________
10. Nolan has a scheme for throwing baseballs that he can apply successfully to throwing small rocks or other types of balls. This successful application would best be described as _________________.
11. Piaget saw equilibration as a balance between
12. Between early and later childhood, schemes tend to become more
13. After reading a book on Eriksonian theory, Farah would most likely describe her trusting 10-month-old daughter as possessing
14. Which baby is most likely to be insecurely attached?
15. Fiona has learned that it is as important to sometimes do what others want as it is to do what she wants. Erikson would suggest that Fiona has
16. Which child has most successfully resolved the "basic trust versus mistrust" stage of psychosocial development?
17. Which sort of solitary play would most likely be unhealthy?
18. Parents who incorporate ____ into their discipline are most likely to encourage altruistic behavior.
19. Young Jim actually experiences the sadness of his friend Abdul when Abdul's dog runs away. Jim is exhibiting ______________.
20. Urvashi decides to help her friend find her lost cat because her friend is likely to give her a reward. This is an example of