MAT 540 Quiz 4
1.___________is maximized in the objective function by subtracting cost from revenue
- In a media selection problem, instead of having an objective of maximizing profit or minimizing cost, generally the objective is to maximize the audience exposure
- Media selection is an important decision that advertisers have to make. In most media selection decisions, the objective of the decision maker is to minimize cost.
- The owner of Chips etc. produces 2 kinds of chips: Lime(L) and Vinegar(V). He has a limited amount of the 3 ingredients used to produce these chips available for his next production run: 4800 ounces of salt, 9600 ounces of flour, and 2000 ounces of herbs. A bag of Lime chips requires 2 ounces of saly, 6 ounces of flour, and 1 ounce of herbs to produce: while a bag of Vinegar chips requires 3 ounces of salt, 8 ounces of flour, and 2 ounces of herbs. Profits for a bag of Lime chips are $0.40, and for a bag of Vinegar Chips $0.50. Which of the following is not a feasible production combination?
0L and 0V
0L and 1000V
1000L and 0V
0L and 1200V
- The production manager for Liquor etc. produces 2 kinds of beer: light and dark. Two of his resources are constrained: malt, of which he can get at most 4800 oz per week: and wheat, of which he can get at most 3200 oz per week. Each bottle of light beer requires 12 oz of malt and 4 oz of wheat, while a bottle of dark beer uses 8 oz of malt and 8 oz of wheat. Profits for light beer are $2 per bottle, and profits for dark beer are $1 per bottle. What is the objective function?
Z = $1L + $2D
Z = $4L + $8D
Z = $12L + $8D
Z = $2L + $1D
Z = $2L + $2D
6.____________solutions are ones that satisfy all the constraints simultaneously.
- When using linear programming model to solve the “diet” problem, the objective is generally to maximize profit.
- A constraint for a linear programming problem can never have a zero as its right-hand-side value.
- The production manager for the Softy soft drink company is considering the production of 2 kinds of soft drinks: regular and diet. Two of her resources are constraint production time (8 hours = 480 minutes per day) and syrup (1 of her ingredient) limited to 675 gallons pr day. To produce a regular case requires 2 minutes and 5 gallons of syrup, while a diet case needs 4 minutes and 3 gallons of syrup. Profits for regular soft drink are $3.00 per case and profits for diet soft drink is $2.00 per case. What is the optimal daily profit?
- In a media selection problem, the estimated number of customers reached by a given media would generally by specified in the _______________. Even if these media exposure estimates are correct, using media exposure as a surrogate does not lead to maximization of ______________.
Problem constraints, sales
Problems constraints, profits
Objective function, profits
Problem output, marginal revenue
Problem statements, revenue
11.Linear programming model of a media selection problem is used to determine the relative value of each advertising media.
- When formulating a linear programming model on a spreadsheet, the measure of performance is located in the target cell.
- In an unbalanced transportation model, supply does not equal demand and supply constraints have signs.
- Profit is maximized in the objective function by
subtracting cost from revenue
subtracting revenue from cost
Adding revenue to cost
Multiplying revenue by cost.
- In a multi-period scheduling problem the production constraint usually takes the form of:
beginning inventory + demand – production = ending inventory
beginning inventory – demand + production = ending inventory
beginning inventory – production –ending inventory = demand
beginning inventory + demand +production = ending inventory
- The dietician for the, local hospital is trying to control the calorie intake of the heart surgery patients. Tonight’s dinner menu could consist of the following food items: chicken, lasanga, pudding, salad, mashed potatoes and Jello. The calories per serving for each of these items are as follows: chicken (600), lasagna(700), pudding(700), pudding(300), salad(200), mashed potatoes with gravy(400) and Jello (200). If the maximum calorie intake has to be limited to 1200 calories. What is the dinner menu that would result in the highest calories intake without going over the total calorie limit of 1200.
Chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, jello and salad
Lasanga, mashed potatoes and gravy, and jello
Chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and pudding
Lasagna, mashed potatoes and gravy, and salad
Chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and salad
- A croissant shop produces 2 products: bear claws (B) and almond filled croissants(C). Each bear claw requires 6 ounces of flour, 1 ounce of yeast, and 2 TS of almond paste. An almond filled croissant requires 3 ounces of flour, 1 ounce of yeast, and 4 TS of almond paste. The company has 6600 ounces of flour, 1400 ounces of yeast, and 4800 TS of almond paste available for today’s production run. Bear claw profits are 20 cents each, and almond filled croissant profit are 30 cents each. What is the optimal daily profit?
- The standard form for the computer solution of a linear programming problem requires all variables to the right and all numerical values to the left of the inequality or equality sign.
- Determining the production quantities of different products manufactured by a company based on resource constraints is a product mix linear programming problem.
- In a balanced transportation model, supply equals demand such that all constraints can be treated as equalities.