1. Analyze the Virginia Bikes business using Porter's Five Forces Analysis to complete the table below
2. Identify which of Porter's Generic Strategies is most appropriate to Virginia Bikes and explain why you selected it in light of your Five Forces Analysis.
3. Josh uses the three business processes listed below, and each of them could be improved using technology. Explain in general how an information technology system solution could improve each one of the processes without naming a specific solution.
Selling bicycles - how technology could improve the process:
Repairing bicycles - how technology could improve the process:
Managing inventory - how technology could improve the process:
4. Using the three business processes listed in question #3, list one input and one output that would be part of that process. (These are for the entire process, and are not limited to any particular step in the process.)
5. Josh has decided to use technology to improve one of business processes identified in question #4 above. Select one of the processes and analyze the IT requirements as they apply to that process using the table below.
6. List and briefly explain three specific quantifiable (measurable) business benefits that Virginia Bikes would get from using a cloud-based Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) solution. Your explanations should include references to the Virginia Bikes business in the case study.
Business Benefit #1 and explanation:
Business Benefit #2 and explanation:
Business Benefit #3 and explanation:
7. Josh has decided to implement a cloud-based SaaS solution to improve the bike repair process for his business. Identify one important activity that Josh would need to do during each of the following phases of the system development life cycle to implement his solution (an example answer is provided for the Programming phase):
Analysis and Design:
Programming: Since the system has already been developed by the SaaS vendor, Josh is not required to take any action regarding the Programming Phase.
Implementation and Use:
8. Josh would like to increase repair work and rentals as they are the highest profit aspects of his business. He wants to analyze the data he will be collecting in his new information system to help him do this. Identify three questions that Josh would want answers to in order to determine ways to increase repairs and rentals. Then, identify what information Josh would need to answer each question. Finally, explain how that information and the answers to the questions would help Josh increase repair work and rentals.
Question, information and explanation #1:
Question, information and explanation #2:
Question, information and explanation #3:
9. Josh has set up a website with information about his stores, and he wants to expand this website to conduct e-commerce. Identify two different categories of e-commerce (as defined in the Week 2 Learning Resource "Categories of Electronic Commerce") that Josh could use to improve his business. Explain how each e-commerce category would be used. Your explanations should include the name of Josh's business and demonstrate your understanding of each of the two e-commerce categories.
E-Commerce category #1 and how it would be used:
E-Commerce category #2 and how it would be used:
10. Explain how each of the following could benefit Josh's Virginia Bikes business. Use 2-3 sentences for each and be sure your explanations mention Virginia Bikes and show that you understand each of the types of systems.
Supply Chain Management System
Customer Relationship Management System
Enterprise Resource Planning System