Resource: Social Policy Outline – Part 1 Grading Criteria
Prepare an outline on social policy surrounding prescription drug coverage for older adults, and support a side as to whether the government should have more or less involvement with policies affecting prescription drug coverage, particularly surrounding the importation of drugs from foreign countries such as Canada.
This could mean that your team supports the government or that you are in favor of private support or intensive regulation. Your instructor will assign your team a side to present. This assignment helps you evaluate existing age-based policies and possible proposals for change.
Include the following in your outline:
- Historical trends for the team’s side of the social policy issue
- Local, state, or federal perspective for the team’s side of the social policy issue
- Team’s position, and the arguments and solutions proposed
- Pros for the team’s side, either supporting side or opposing side
- Areas to consider are derivations and directions of public policy, interrelationships of agencies, and a discussion of selected programs and services for the aged. Examine the government response to the growing number of older Americans and the policy process.
- Consider how public policy on prescription drug coverage has positively or negatively affected the older adult. Identify any pros or cons associated with your argument. Consider how older adults or organizations they have formed such as American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) have affected policies directly related to prescription drug coverage.
Prepare at least 15 questions that may be asked to the opposing side. The questions should be specifically directed to your opponent and should be clear and concise.