Resource: The Virtual Organizations Portal
Choose one of the three critical events listed below that would affect communication within your selected Virtual Organization:
- Leadership change such as a change in the chief executive officer or superintendent, political change, or major changes in management department heads
- Reorganization such as a merger or takeover; change in community or industry image or stature; gaining or losing accreditation; political change; or major employment changes such as outsourcing, layoffs, expansion, and foreign labor
- Crisis within an industry
- Business: ethical violations, technological malfunction, major financial loss
- Schools: change in stature, ethical violations, violence, major gang or drug incident
- Health care: wrongful death, medication error, ethics violation
- Government: mismanagement of funds, ethical violations, lack of response or preparedness, conflicting parties
Note. You must use your chosen critical event throughout all subsequent weekly assignments.
Write a 1,400- to 1,750-word paper.
Address how your selected Virtual Organizational critical event affects the following:
- Interpersonal communication ethics
- Perceptions of power
- Communication during conflict
- Intercultural and diversity conflict
- Communication climate
Identify what communications theories apply to this organization. You may choose from the following communications theories:
- General Systems theory
- Cognitive Dissonance Theory
- Social Exchange Theory
- Social Penetration Theory
- Face-negotiation theory
- Any other communication theory you studied in your BS/COM coursework. You may reference Introducing Communication Theory: Analysis and Application by R. West & L.H. Turner in the University Library eBook collection.
Explain how the application of a theoretical perspective would help the organization respond to this critical event.
Describe how the implementation of effective communication strategies might help the organization overcome this negative situation and arrive at a positive outcome.
Include a minimum of four academic sources.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.