Write a 700- to 1,050-word paper describing the scientific method and the fundamentals of research. Address each of the following in your paper:
- Define the scientific method. How does it relate to human services research?
- What are the steps in the process of scientific inquiry? Why must each of these steps be included to support the scientific method? Provide a human services research example of the scientific method and identify each step within your example.
- Define quantitative research and qualitative research. Explain how they differ and relate each to the human services field and the scientific method.
- Describe how to decide whether to use a quantitative or qualitative research methodology. Provide examples of what sort of study is appropriate for each methodology and explain why.
- Define mixed method research and describe its strengths. Provide an example of when it is appropriate to apply mixed method research in the human services field.
- Summarize how scientifically sound research supports the function of a human services manager.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines and include at least two references.