1) What are the different types of symbiosis? List and give a short definition and an example for each.
2) Describe three types of reservoirs of infection in humans. Give an example disease for each type of reservoir.
3) A throat swab is taken from a patient with a respiratory infection. After 24 hours, 1- to 3-mm colonies develop, which are round, mucoid, nonpigmented, and dimpled in the middle. What is the most likely pathogen, and how could you confirm the diagnosis on the culture?
4) Why would Clostridium botulinum be a good microorganism to use for biological warfare?
5) Describe the events of the acute inflammatory response and their effect on site of infection. Include the cells and chemicals involved.
6) Humans have species resistance. What is meant by this?
7) Discuss the basic structure of the antibody molecule.
8) What are the steps involved in B cell activation? Compare and contrast clonal deletion and clonal selection of B lymphocytes.