Complete cases CA1.7 on page 26 and IRFS1.5 on page 39 of your text. This assignment is not located in Wiley Plus.
Directions for Submitting your Assignment
Compose your Assignment in a Microsoft Word document, or Excel if appropriate, and save it as Username-AC300 Assignment-Unit#.doc (Example: TAllen- AC300_Assignment-Unit2.doc). Submit your file by selecting the Unit 2: Assignment Dropbox by the end of Unit 2.
Written work should be free of spelling, grammar, and APA errors. Points deducted from the grade for each writing, spelling, or grammar error are at your instructor’s discretion.
Review the grading rubric below before beginning this activity.
CA1-7 (Need for GAAP) Some argue that having various organizations establish accounting principles is wasteful and inefficient. Rather than mandating accounting rules, each company could voluntarily disclose the type of information it considered important. In addition, if an investor wants additional information, the investor could contact the company and pay to receive the additional information desired.
Comment on the appropriateness of this viewpoint.
IFRS1-5 The following comments were made at an Annual Conference of the Financial Executives Institute (FEI).
There is an irreversible movement towards the harmonization of financial reporting throughout the world. The international capital markets require an end to:
- The confusion caused by international companies announcing different results depending on the set of accounting standards applied.
- Companies in some countries obtaining unfair commercial advantages from the use of particular national accounting standards.
- The complications in negotiating commercial arrangements for international joint ventures caused by different accounting requirements.
- The inefficiency of international companies having to understand and use a myriad of different accounting standards depending on the countries in which they operate and the countries in which they raise capital and debt. Executive talent is wasted on keeping up to date with numerous sets of accounting standards and the never-ending changes to them.
- The inefficiency of investment managers, bankers, and financial analysts as they seek to compare financial reporting drawn up in accordance with different sets of accounting standards.
- What is the International Accounting Standards Board?
- What stakeholders might benefit from the use of International Accounting Standards?
- What do you believe are some of the major obstacles to convergence?